Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tear along dotted line....

I have discovered that leaving home is the same whether 17 or 43...it sucks. Saying goodbye to mom---no matter that a lifetime has been lived in the interim--is heart-breaking. Driving away, mom waving at the window, is like pulling oneself from the womb, grabbing and fighting the urge to return to the warm safety. The incessant "this is a good thing, right?" reverberating through the mind...What have I done? What have I become? Is it all enough?

It's the double-edged sword of a good family...you love them so much it tears you apart to leave. And in that pain is the confirmation of a job well done.

Q

1 comment:

Lefty Sloane said...

I have been pondering this for awhile. You are lucky to feel this way about moving out from your mother. I don't have that with mine. My daughter graduated yesterday and will be moving out next week, and I think SHE would agree with you. We'll always have txting, we say. snif.